Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Not Without Risk

I debated at great length about whether or not to share this story with anyone, especially my family, because I didn't want to cause any unnecessary worry or anxiety. However, I keep thinking that the best way to arm my prayer supporters is by giving them an accurate picture of the situation.

A little over a week ago, 5 of my fellow language students (4 guys and 1 girl, all in their early 20s) decided to climb a nearby volcano. They thought they had a local man going with them, but he had to back out at the last minute. We have been warned multiple times that such an outing is only safe with a guide or with security. They went anyway, alone.

They had a great day until they were most of the way back down the volcano. Then 3 guys with machetes and masks jumped out from behind cover and robbed them. From the stories we hear, God really protected my friends because most robberies are far worse than this. These robbers must have been novices because they only took watches, money, cameras, and sunglasses. They even allowed my friends to retrieve their memory cards from the cameras. When my biggest, strongest friend held out his wallet, they opted not to risk getting close enough to him to take it. When they were searching my female friend's bag, they encountered her Bible and stopped searching, thereby missing the camera that was in the same compartment as the Bible.

I think my friends learned about security risks, but please pray for us all to be wise. Life is never completely without risks. The reality is that anything can happen to anyone, anywhere, anytime. We can't live in a bubble, and we certainly cannot fulfill our mission inside a bubble. However, I am praying that the Holy Spirit will guide each one of us to make wise choices. I am also praying for the three guys who seem to be just beginning a life of crime.

No comments: