Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Power of a Gentle Breeze

This morning in class my teacher Sara asked me to read a passage from the Bible aloud and then explain it to her to practice my Spanish. It is hard for me to choose a passage in a sudden, open-ended situation like this. I flipped through a bit, and, without knowing why, settled on the parable of the servant who was forgiven yet refused to forgive in Matthew 18. I read it, retold it in my own words, and then related it to us who, as sinners, have been forgiven by God and should therefore be willing to forgive others. She immediately gave a "what-if" situation where it is really hard to forgive an egregious trespass. We talked about how it isn't easy but that it is possible to forgive with the God's help, then she admitted that she was sharing her own real story and that she is wrestling internally with this inability to forgive this person.
I asked her a couple of questions. First, if I carry anger in my heart, who is hurt more by this anger, me or the person with whom I angry? Second, is it possible for anger with another person and the love/peace of God to co-exist in my heart?
As we talked, I kept trying to decide what scripture to share with her. Our classes are held outside in a garden, and about this time a breeze began to flip the pages of my Bible. I looked down to see that it had stopped on Matthew 22 where Jesus is asked about the greatest commandment. I read this to Sara and explained that if we truly love our neighbor as we love ourselves, we will certainly forgive them and even go a step further to be kind to them.
God's methods never cease to amaze me. He guided me through the power of the wind He created. I don't know if these deep conversations will continue, but please continue to pray for guidance for me and for Sara. Also, please pray for her to be able to forgive this person who caused such deep pain in her family.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! What an awesome God we serve who loves us so!

Angela said...

Ellen, thank you so much for your encouragement! It means a lot to know that you are reading my posts and praying with me and for me. Thanks for being such a great friend!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome Angela! You amaze me! And God amazes me in the ways he is working through you!! Love ya,

Jerrod

Anonymous said...

Wow! God rocks,huh!?! I'm so glad you emailed me with your update. I have not looked at your blog in a while and am sorry I've been missing out on the great things that God is doing through you. Keep strong!

Love,
Melanie