Last Tuesday while I was out running various errands I stopped at a little place to eat some lunch. The girl who took my order saw my white skin and was very excited to practice her English with me. I was immediately impressed with her level of fluency, and she confirmed my hunch that she is currently studying English in the university. She is studying tourism and is 6 months away from taking her English language proficiency exam. She was very friendly, and we had a good little conversation. When she learned that I do Bible studies with women and kids, she asked if I am a Christian. Her reaction to my confirmation of this fact was something like this, "Oh I know several people in this city who are Christians. Christians are always such nice people and such happy people!" I shared my phone number with her and invited her to call if she wanted to get together and practice English. If I don't hear from her, I will probably decide to eat there again in a few weeks and see if she is there. I am praying that God will provide an opportunity for us to have a deeper conversation and that she will come to understand that everything good she sees in Christians is a reflection of Christ.
BTW: I am so relieved that this is the impression she has been given by Christians! It hurts my heart to hear people talk about Christians being judgemental, click-ish, etc. Praise God for the good testimony of the Christians Atalia has met!
No comments:
Post a Comment