Thursday, September 9, 2010

Reflecting on My Day

This morning was my first morning to return to my Thursday morning Bible study with women from one of the local Baptist churches after a 2 month break. This past Sunday, I finally had an opportunity to visit their church again, and I was so blessed by the love and friendship with which I was received. Several women from the study came to me with warm embraces and expressions of how much they had missed me. These are the same women who once told me that I am not alone here because they are here for me. This is the one study where I am not "on." I am merely participating, not leading or anything. It is a place where I can go and be filled and share life with sisters in Christ. What a blessing to be with them once again!

This morning, though, the leader was conspicuously absent as her little daughter has been in Mexico City fighting leukemia for about 6 weeks. While there, we received a text from her to make sure we remembered to pray for her little girl. Then there was a second text to pray for her marriage. This entire struggle has taken a toll on the whole family, as it often does. We wept as we prayed together on our knees for this precious family.

As we were walking toward our cars, Angelica shared with me that she wants me to help her start a Bible study in her house by offering English lessons in conjunction with the study. We are both praying about this possibility and talking to our respective leadership (in her church, it is absolutely crucial that any involvement from me have the pastor's approval).

This afternoon we headed out to the neighborhood where we have a study. As we parked, some of our kids ran to us. I received three greeting kisses before I ever stepped out of the van. We set up and still had a little time, so some of the girls brought some paper and started folding it into hearts. They taught me through step by step instructions, my favorite of which was the last step where you sit on the heart to make it super-flat.

This week's lesson was about Jesus walking on water, so I started with a demonstration. I had a bowl of water and several objects, and I had the kids guess whether or not each object would float before putting the object in the water to see what would happen. We had our story time, did a craft, played a concentration game, did word searches, and jumped rope.

As we were loading up the van, one of the girls commented that it wasn't the van we usually bring. (We usually go in Robin's but had mine today.) When I told her that it was mine, she responded with surprise, "You drive???" Funny!

Yes, a good day indeed.

No comments: