Sunday, April 18, 2010

Church Visit

This morning I ventured out on my own to visit a church that was suggested to me. I met several women from that church at the retreat last weekend, and I knew where the church was located. The only information lacking was the service time. I was told that they probably started at noon, maybe 11:30. So, I arrived at about 11:40 this morning. As I walked up, I could hear that the service had already begun. Then I saw a sign at the entrance that said in Spanish, "God will speak to you today . . . but not by cell phone. Turn it off." While masking my amusement, I accepted a bulletin from a gentleman who informed me that there were seats in the front. Indeed, the very front row is exactuly where I had to sit. I had no sooner settled into the seat when I realized that they were greeting visitors. The pastor called me out. "Sister! This is your first time here, no? Stand up and tell us your name." After I did, the pianist explained to him that they had met me at the retreat. As they finally moved on from the public greeting, I realized that the bulletin said that the service started at 11. I was 40 minutes late!

During the greeting song, several people greeted me warmly, including women I recognized from the retreat. Oh, how I wished they were still wearing their nametags from the retreat! Several kids were also instructed to come greet me in English. In the midst of the sermon, the pastor actually called on me by name to agree with him on a point he was making, thus drawing more attention to me.

The service ended around 1:15 or 1:30 pm, and a spunky older lady from the retreat immediately attached herself to me and dragged me outside as the entire congregation was being arranged to pose for a picture. I was mortified to be in their picture, but between the closed gate and the suprisingly strong arm of my new guide, there was no possibility of escape!

There is a possibility that I may partner with some women from this church to reach other women. Please pray for God's guidance in this.

1 comment:

sherryandsteve said...

Been there, done that. Once in Costa Rica, barely out of our 3 months of language school, we were asked many questions in the middle of a service in a small church we were working with. We had to get help from another missionary to translate and respond. Nothing like being immersed in the culture. You go girl!Praying for you.